Saturday, April 2, 2016

Have Yarn, Will Travel

It has been a busy few months! Since my last post, we have done two cross country moves due to my husband's new job bringing us all over the nation for the training period.  We spent 3 months in the Cleveland, Ohio area and are now in gorgeous Salt Lake City, Utah! We also recently learned our new and semi-permanent location. In June, we will be settling in to San Antonio, Texas.

Traveling all over has its benefits! Visited with family, did some touristing, and discovered the cats are great travelers.


With these multiple treks, most of our stuff has been left behind in storage until we have a more permanent place. Thankfully, the new job provides furnished housing for the short term moves.  I had to significantly trim down and prioritize what portion of my stash knitting stuff would make the journeys to new places.  Currently everything I've got in the same state as me fits on or under an end table next to the couch. And I've got more than enough WIP's to keep me busy, since I brought all of those.

Just a few of the works in progress. A Vertebrae Cardigan, a sock yarn scraps blanket, and a Hitchhiker Shawl.


Being in these new towns and places has been quite interesting. We've had family and friends come to visit, and we've done some exploring both in town and in the wide open spaces. My favorite discovery so far is the lovely Local Yarn Store just a mile from our SLC apartment, Blazing Needles.  I go to their regular Thursday evening knitting nights and have met a large crowd of great people to chat with.  It's a bit daunting to be in a new place, especially for an introvert like me. But having something like Knit Night helps me open up and get comfortable around new people.  They also have excellent yarn selection, and I have already fed my yarn habit with yarn for several projects in various stages of completion.

Here's some of the things I've been working on here in the shadows of the Wasatch Mountains!

Lots of finished socks! Some for me, and some for family and friends.

I made the top two toys for my niece, the Kindle case for me, and a Yarny character from the video game Unravel for the Husband.

Hats and shawls all around!

Socks in progress. Currently it's only four sets, but there's more pairs that I am dying to cast on.

First ever time trying to spin! So far I am loving using the drop spindle.

Hopefully in the near future I can update again with some extra details about my works in progress, and go a bit more in depth on everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment